Installing new bathroom tiles is a great way to update your bathroom. If you are planning on doing this yourself, keep reading for some helpful bathroom tile tips when installing bathroom tiles.
Update Your Bathroom – Preparation Required To Update Your Bathroom
- Make sure that the surface you plan to tile onto is clean, dry and free of any dust and debris.
- Remember: before tiling your bathroom will need to have a waterproof lining applied.
- Use a tape measure to measure the length and width of the room. Then, multiply the length by the width to work out the measurement of your floor in square metres (Length 3m x Width 3m = 9m2).
- To measure walls, multiply the length of the wall by the height.
- Once you have these measurements, you can then order your floor tiles, wall
tiles and adhesive.
- When purchasing tiles, you should always order an extra 10% – 20% wastage depending on the tile size and the laying pattern.
Bathroom Tile Tips
- Always mix the adhesive according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Tile from the back wall working your way towards the door to allow you to go in and out of the area as you need to.
- Using a notched trowel, spread a small amount of adhesive (approx. 1 sqm) at a time. This prevents the adhesive from drying out.
- When pressing a tile into the adhesive, give it a little wiggle to make sure there are no air pockets underneath.
- It’s a good idea to lift and check under a tile you have just laid to make sure it has complete adhesive coverage before continuing.
- Clean off any excess adhesive from the surface of the tiles as you work. This will make clean up easier.
- Allow your adhesive to dry for 24 hours before grouting.
- Apply grout with a grout float across the joints at an angle.
- Clean any excess grout from the surface of the tiles with a damp sponge. Make sure to rinse the sponge often to avoid spreading the grout over the surface of the tiles.
- Do not apply grout to corners or joints where two surfaces meet as these joints will require silicone.
- Give the grout a few days to dry before walking on it.
Need more bathroom tile tips and advice? Give Tile Factory Outlet a call and speak with an expert. Our sales staff can give you information about the correct adhesives and grout to use, along with which bathroom tiles are best suited for you. TFO stocks a huge range of the latest bathroom tiles, adhesives, tools and grout – all at outlet prices. Visit us today or view our range and compare prices on our online store.