A beautifully designed house wouldn’t last long without the support of a strong foundation. Although mostly invisible, well designed foundations always play a vital role in all types of buildings. This is true for tiling too. Without the proper installation, tiles won’t perform as they are expected to. Finding the right tile adhesive and applying it properly is absolutely critical in ensuring that tiles are installed appropriately.
But who makes the best tile glue? Many tiling experts recommend products from ParexDavco which has 48 operations around the world. Their extensive knowledge and experience in the field have led them to become one of the leaders in engineering the most effective tile adhesives. They produce a wide range of adhesives, grouts and other materials essential for tiling.
So, how can you choose the right tile glue for your job? One of the most versatile tile adhesives is Dustless Powder Mastic. In fact, most tiling work can be done by using this product. Below are some of the reasons why it’s so popular:
1. Its excellent adhesion properties makes this adhesive suitable for a wide range of tile types such as porcelain, ceramic, vitrified, mosaic, terracotta, slate, granite and marble.
2. It can be used on a wide variety of surfaces such as concrete, cement render, screeds, blockwork, rendered brickwork, fibre cement sheet, gyprock and compatible water proofing membranes.
3. Its non-slump properties makes it an ideal tile glue for wall tiling and large format porcelain tiles.
4. It has an extended adjustment time of 30 minutes which means you can adjust your tile’s position within that time period without re-applying the glue.
5. It can be used over a flexible surface
There are however points to be considered to ensure that Dustless Powder Mastic will perform as it’s expected.
1. Surface preparation must be done properly
This includes cleaning the surface, removing contaminating materials such as paint, grease or curing compound. If applying over a newly made concrete surface, it must be cured over an appropriate period of time before applying the adhesive. All surfaces, including porous surfaces, must be primed prior to application.
2. Movement joints must be installed
To prevent tiles from becoming drummy or even lifting, it’s required by the Australian standard (AS3958) to install movement joints in places such as: over movement joints in the substrates, at a junction between different substrate materials, at internal vertical corners, around the perimeter of the tiling system, at a maximum of 5 meter intervals in a grid pattern. Movement joints up to 6mm can be filled with Davco Colourcaulk.
3. Use the right notched trowel
According to the size of the tiles used, a different sized notched trowel must be used to ensure that adequate depth and coverage is achieved.
6mm notched trowel for wall tiles up to 150x150mm
10mm notched trowel for wall / floor tiles larger than 150x150mm
12mm notched trowel for large tiles, 400x400mm or larger
6mm notched trowel for mosaic tiles
For tiles larger than 400x400mm, back buttering is required to ensure thorough adhesion.
Dustless Powder Mastic is one of the most versatile glues that’s so easy to use. Ask one of our friendly staff for more details. Buy ParexDavco products at the lowest prices in Sydney at Tile Factory Outlet today.