Buy stunning stone wall cladding at Sydney’s lowest prices at TFO. Choose from a wide range of directly imported natural stackstones for your internal and external feature walls.
One of the best ways to dress up exterior walls is to install stone wall cladding or stackstone tiles as many call it. The natural rustic look of stone wall cladding certainly adds depth and class to the appearance of your home.
While many people get contractors to install stone wall cladding, others decide to install the tiles themselves. They may decide that since the scale of the work may be relatively small.
For those who decide to do it themselves, here are a few points that are worth taking note of before going ahead.
Pointers For Installing Stone Wall Cladding
- Manufacturers make stone wall cladding from natural stones. That means every piece has different characteristics. So before you install them, it would be good to dry-lay them to find the combination you like. Lay them in a brick pattern to make panel joints less visible.
- It’s important to make sure everything is clean prior to installation. This includes making sure that the wall surface is completely free of dust or dirt. If the wall surface is painted, you must first strip off the paint. Or you can apply an appropriate bonding material such as Ultrabond by Davco. Wall cladding pieces must also be free of dust and dirt to allow for sound adhesion.
- It helps to prime the wall first. When the porous surface of the wall and the wall cladding panel are too dry, the moisture in the adhesive can be pulled out too rapidly. That negatively affects the adhesion. If the surface seems very porous and dry, it’s essential to prime the surface of the wall first to prepare it for the best adhesion. We recommend a primer manufactured by Davco.
- Use the right glue. Stone cladding panels are heavy. They can weigh more than 50kgs per square metre depending on the thickness of the stones. Therefore, make sure you use tile adhesives that manufacturers have designed to hold such heavy weight on the wall. Flexibility is also very important as it allows for some heat expansion of the stones. Here at TFO, we recommend the combination of SMP Evo and Davlastic additive manufactured by Davco. Ask one of our friendly staff for further instructions including the mixing ratio. Use a generous amount of glue. After applying the glue on the wall with the flat end of the trowel, use a minimum 12mm notched trowel for spreading.
- Maintain the original look of the stones. Once the adhesive is properly cured, make sure you seal the stone wall cladding with an impregnating sealer. Stones may discolour or stain if you do not seal them properly.
Above are just a few key points to keep in mind when installing stone wall cladding. For more details, get in touch with professional installers. Or come and see one of our friendly staff members at TFO.
Without a doubt, stone wall cladding can add a look to your home like no other. TFO has one of the largest collections of stone wall cladding at the lowest prices in Sydney. Come and visit our showroom today or buy stunning stone wall cladding online now.